A former owner of a youth sports complex charged with sexually assaulting a boy in Salem County remains free as attorneys request more time to review evidence for a possible plea deal.
Tara R. Carr, 46, of Woodstown, appeared in Salem County Superior Court on Tuesday for a pre-indictment conference — a hearing where prosecutors and defense attorneys can try to resolve a case before it goes to a grand jury.
Carr, the former owner of a youth sports facility in Deptford, sexually assaulted the minor multiple times over several months at Marlton Park in Pilesgrove and a location in Mannington, investigators said. The boy was 14 at the time, police said.
Prosecutors said in court they have offered Carr a deal that includes a five-year prison sentence if she pleads guilty. The deal would also require Carr to register as a sex offender under Megan’s Law.
A judge granted Carr’s defense counsel more time Tuesday to negotiate a deal and review the case.
She remains free while the two sides try to work out a deal.
David Branco, Carr’s attorney, declined to comment Tuesday.
Carr was charged in January with two counts of second-degree sexual assault of a juvenile between the ages of 13 and 15, one count of second-degree luring or enticing a child and two counts of third-degree endangering the welfare of a child through sexual conduct by a non-caretaker.
New Jersey State Police were informed on May 1 that Carr allegedly sexually assaulted a juvenile, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed with the charges.
The alleged sexual acts occurred while Carr drove the teen to and from school. She also sent sexually explicit photos and videos to him on the social media platform Snapchat, according to prosecutors.
Carr is a former owner of Rastelli Kids Complex, a family-owned youth sports facility in Deptford that hosts camps and a cheerleading organization.
After the criminal charges were filed, a spokesperson for the sports complex said Carr is no longer affiliated with it. She resigned and forfeited ownership in May 2024 when the investigation began, according to the facility‘s owner.
The criminal charges make no connection between the sexual abuse allegations and the cheerleading program or the kids' complex. The alleged crimes occurred at least 20 miles from the youth complex.
Carr’s children allegedly knew the teen boy and his brother, prosecutors said in court proceedings.
An attorney representing Carr previously told NJ Advance Media the boy had been making threats to Carr and her family, stemming from school incidents involving her children.

Stories by Nyah Marshall
Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to NJ.com.