For Pete Alonso, It was the New York Mets or nowhere: ‘This was it’

Mets, Pete Alonso

Mets first baseman Pete Alonso spoke with reporters for the first time since re-signing on Feb. 17.Manny Gomez, NJAM

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — For the first time since signing a two-year, $54 million with the Mets, on Monday, first baseman Pete Alonso was at Clover Park, the team’s spring training complex.

There, he participated in all activities with his teammates — stretching, fielding drills, and batting practice. It left onlookers feeling like everything had finally fallen into its right place with the Mets and Alonso,

“It just looks right, doesn’t it?” said one influential person watching Alonso with his teammates.

For six seasons, Alonso has established himself as one of the best players to have come out of the Mets' system. After a grueling winter in which the four-time Silver Slugger tested free agency, Alonso was left yearning for a reunion with the only team he’s known — but the process didn’t go as smoothly as Alonso and the Mets had thought.

The rumor mill buzzed with insiders reporting interest from multiple teams, mostly the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays. Other reports painted a contentious back-and-forth between Alonso and the Mets, where multiple offers were declined.

The process left Mets owner Steve Cohen feeling exhausted.

“Sorry, Steve,” Alonso said during his availability with reporters on Monday.

BUY METS TICKETS: STUBHUB, VIVID SEATS, TICKETMASTER

According to Alonso, he never wanted to go anywhere else.

“For me, this was it,” Alonso said. “I mean, throughout the entire off-season, we had the best dialogue from the Mets. And, like, that was it. For us, this was the best opportunity. And for me, I’m just really happy to be back.”

Previous reports indicated that an in-person meeting between Alonso and Mets president of baseball operations David Stearns and Cohen closed the deal. The four-time All-Star confirmed such, referring to the meeting as “really special.”

In the end, Alonso walked away with the highest payday for a first baseman for one year - his $30 million salary in 2025 sets the bar for big league first baseman. But nowhere near the total value ($158 million) of the seven-year deal he turned down under the previous regime.

“I feel like I pushed the market forward a little bit,” he said. “It’s definitely an accomplishment.”

It also inserts him back into a lineup with shorstop Francisco Lindor and a new addition in right fielder Juan Soto, which has Alonso feeling “stoked.”

Alonso understands that, by his standard, he’s coming off of two subpar seasons, with the most recent being, arguably, his worst ever.

in 162 games last season, Alonso posted career lows with 34 home runs, 88 RBIs, and OPS (.788) in a 162-game season.

He has a plan to improve as a player offensively and defensively.

“Offensively, tightening up some swing mechanics to make a more repeatable move to the baseball,” Alonso said. " Also, reviewing some defensive plays, for me ... one area I was critical of was the decision-making in throwing to first."

Last season, Alonso led all NL first basemen in errors (seven). Five of those were throwing errors, which represents the highest number in all of baseball.

Improving his game isn’t the only thing motivating Alonso, however. The Mets coming within two games of the World Series is.

“Last year, getting to the (NL)CS, that was my first real postseason experience. ... Making a run like that in ‘24, you realize how much has to go into getting there, but then also getting over that hump and into the World Series.

“For me, that’s addicting, that playoff feeling. Playing that high-leverage baseball, that’s what it’s all about. ... It’s just motivation to get back and get better.”

There’s also the chance to make history.

Alonso (226) is 26 home runs shy of tying the franchise home run record which is held by Darryl Strawberry (252).

Alonso deadpanned reporters when asked if he thinks about the accomplishment.

“No, I haven’t thought about it at all,” he said with a straight face before breaking character.

“Of course, I’ve given it thought,” he continued. “if I stay healthy and go out and do it, if that were to happen, I mean, that’s something I’ve been thinking about. To be a part of this franchise in that (way), that’d be really special.”

Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting us with a subscription.

Manny Gómez may be reached at mgomez@njadvancemedia.com.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.