One of the best backup options for the Yankees in free agency — if they miss on Juan Soto — came off the board on Saturday night.
Shortstop Willy Adames signed a seven-year, $182 million deal with the San Francisco Giants. Jeff Passan of ESPN was first to report Adames’ signing, the biggest contract in Giants franchise history.
Earlier this week, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reported that the Yankees were showing interest in Adames. It wasn’t a perfect fit necessarily, since the Yankees already have Anthony Volpe at shortstop, but they could’ve made it work, using Adames to fill one of their other infield holes. The free agent was coming off a career year with the Brewers.
An option for the Yankees could’ve been to move Adames to third base, sliding Jazz Chisholm Jr. over to second. Adames was reportedly willing to change positions for the right situation and the right deal in free agency.
According to Jon Heyman of the New York Post, the Giants, Braves and Dodgers were the most active pursuers of Adames in free agency. The Yankees love Adames, Heyman said, but “they have another priority at the moment.”
That priority is Soto, who is expected to make his free agency decision imminently. He could pick a team over this weekend with the Winter Meetings set to begin on Sunday in Dallas.
The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Dodgers are the known suitors for Soto. Offers for the generational outfielder have reportedly eclipsed the $600 million mark and many expect the final contract for Soto to be higher than $700 million.
If the Yankees don’t retain Soto and he chooses one of those other high-spending contenders, they’ll need to pivot quickly and turn their best remaining backup plan into reality. With Adames no longer available, other position players the Yankees have been linked to include third baseman Alex Bregman, first baseman Pete Alonso and first baseman Christian Walker. Cubs outfielder and first baseman Cody Bellinger is another veteran piece the Yankees are interested in, but that would require a trade. Chicago is reportedly determined to get rid of Bellinger this winter.
MORE YANKEES COVERAGE
- Yankees' Aaron Judge singled out by MLB star: ‘Shocks me’ he’s so cheap
- Ex-Yankees pitcher is ‘going to get paid a lot,’ his GM says
- Ex-Yankees pitcher shares advice for Mets' Clay Holmes in transition to starter
- Yankees’ Devin Williams still haunted by October failure: Was he tipping to Mets? | Klapisch
- Yankees’ top prospect already ‘comfortable’ against MLB arms and it shows
Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting us with a subscription.
Max Goodman may be reached at mgoodman@njadvancemedia.com.